Ran the following command on my windows 7 domain joined machine
msiexec /i MOMAgent.msi /qn USE_MANUALLY_SPECIFIED_SETTINGS=0
In less than a minute the installation is finished
Event Viewer logs reveals the status of registration
- A new Management Group was added to the Microsoft Operations Manager Agent.
- HealthService (2072) Health Service Store: The database engine (6.01.7600.0000) started a new instance (0).
- The Health Service successfully retrieved policy from Active Directory
- The Management Group MgmtGrp has been discovered in Active Directory.
- Active Directory Integration has been enabled for management group MgmtGrp.
- No certificate was specified. This Health Service will not be able to communicate with other health services unless those health services are in a domain that has a trust relationship with this domain. If this health service needs to communicate with health services in untrusted domains, please configure a certificate.
- The OpsMgr Connector successfully retrieved policy from Active Directory for management group MgmtGrp.
- OpsMgr has no configuration for management group MgmtGrp and is requesting new configuration from the Configuration Service.
- Management Group “MgmtGrp” was started.
- The Health Service has published the public key [34 DC 07 4D E4 9D 29 80 4B C0 53 79 23 8E B8 2E ] used to send it secure messages to management group MgmtGrp. This message only indicates that the key is scheduled for delivery, not that delivery has been confirmed.
- The Health Service has validated all RunAs accounts for management group MgmtGrp.
- The OpsMgr Connector connected to SCOM01.MULPURU.LOCAL, but the connection was closed immediately after authentication occurred. The most likely cause of this error is that the agent is not authorized to communicate with the server, or the server has not received configuration. Check the event log on the server for the presence of 20000 events, indicating that agents which are not approved are attempting to connect.
- OpsMgr was unable to set up a communications channel to SCOM01.MULPURU.LOCAL and there are no fail over hosts. Communication will resume when SCOM01.MULPURU.LOCAL is available and communication from this computer is allowed.
The reason for RSM to reject the client connection is because I forgot to change the default behavior of management server which is to reject manual agent installs.
After making the above change, Win7 appears in the pending devices list
On the Windows 7 Client
Hope this is informative.
For more MOMAgent.msi switches refer – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb309553.aspx